Hospitality & Tourism Management Program
What is HTMP?
The Educational Institute's new high school curriculum, the Hospitality and Tourism Management Program (HTMP)
was developed by industry experts and members of the American Hotel
& Lodging Association and has replaced the Lodging Management
Program as the official industry-recognized curriculum to prepare
students for roles in the hotel industry and beyond. HTMP provides classroom training and real-life learning experiences to prepare high school juniors and seniors for careers in the hospitality industry. The curriculum is industry driven—more than 60 industry leaders serve as subject matter experts—ensuring that the program matches the needs of hospitality employers around the world.
HTMP is a two-year program that was created and developed by the American Hotel & Lodging Educational Institute (EI). It comes packed with industry insight and professional development activities to take students straight from the classroom and into the workforce. The benefits of the program include the following topics:
- Provides classroom instruction and real-world learning experiences for students.
- Leads to an industry-recognized and portable professional certification from the EI—Certified Hospitality and Tourism Management Professional (CHTMP).
- Aligns to the Common Core State Standards.
- Offers teacher training and the opportunity for instructors to earn a professional certification from the EI—Certified Hospitality Instructor (CHI).
- Showcases Career Pathways for a dynamic and fast-growing industry.
- Teaches employability skills and job-specific technical skills for the Hospitality & Tourism Career Cluster.
- Includes everything the instructor will need to teach the program, from lesson plans to assessments and examinations.
- Leads to advanced placement in college through articulation agreements.
- Includes work-based learning experiences with an industry internship.
- Offers an International Competition for students to showcase their skills and earn scholarship.
The EI annually hosts high school students form around the world who come to Orlando, Florida to showcase their skills in a two-day competition with events based on real-world job scenarios. Students compete for scholarship dollars from leading hospitality colleges and universities. During the competition, teams of students display their proficiency while competing in three contests: Hotel Operations, the Hospitality Project and the Knowledge Bowl.
PRLA has numerous resources available to you. Contact Hope Sterner, PRLA education coordinator, at (800) 345-5353 or email@example.com
for more information about the program.